On the Day
Before you come to a Kids Run Free event, please register each child via our login/registration page.
On your first event, you will be given a card for each child.
Please bring your Kids Run Free card along to every event.
The events proceed as follows:
1. Arrive at 8:45am (look at the map to find your nearest event).
2. Warm-ups before the race begins. Listen out for instructions from the race director!
3. When you hear your child’s group being called, head for the start line.
4. Prepare to time your child’s race - if you do not have a stop-watch, you can pick one up from one of our volunteers.
5. Get ready...get steady...GO!
6. At the end of the race, make sure your child's time is recorded and a sticker fixed to his/her card.
There will be a Race director and plenty of volunteers at the events who will always be willing to help out or answer questions.
Keeping the attention of children for long enough to get them sufficiently warmed up can be tricky, so we always follow a set procedure that makes warming up enjoyable as well as effective.
We use a mini-circuit – using mini-hurdles, cones and agility ladders that children can take at their own pace. Generally running around and having fun is an ideal way to get kids warmed up without them even realising!
Then we go through a simple aerobics session involving balance, stretching and co-ordination exercises.
Afterwards the children can emulate their running heroes by doing the 'Bolt' or the 'Mobot'!
0-2 year-olds run 50m
3-4 year-olds run 100m
5-6 year-olds run 250m
7-8 year-olds run 500m
7-16 year olds can run 1000m if they think they're hard enough!
After the Race
When they have completed their race, each child is given a Kids Run Free sticker which is stuck to their Kids Run Free card.
If a child manages to get 8 stickers then to mark their achievement they get a special Kids Run Free t-shirt!
To claim a t-shirt, simply update your child's details on our website and send us your child's completed race-card before the 20th of the month. We will then be able to give your child their t-shirt at the following Kids Run Free event!
GMapFP - gmapfp.org